Artist Certification Guidelines
What is an Artist Certificate?
An Artist Certificate is a letter from Mayor’s Office of Arts and Culture and the Boston Planning and Development Agency (formerly BRA) to an artist. The letter confirms that the artist has been reviewed by a committee of peers and is “certified” as a working artist. An Artist Certificate qualifies an artist as eligible for artist spaces developed by the City of Boston for a period of eight years. Upon expiration, the artist will need to renew their certification.
Who is eligible for an Artist Certificate?
Applicants must able to demonstrate that they have a recent body of work and must be at least 18 years of age. Artists in the following disciplines are considered:
- Visual Arts: including painting, printmaking, sculpture, photography, conceptual art, ceramics, woodworking, architecture/design, media arts, film, and new media.
- Performing Arts: including dance, theater, and music.
- Literary Arts: including fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and spoken word.
- Multidisciplinary Art
Who reviews the applications?
The Artist Resource Manager in the Mayor's Office of Arts and Culture reviews applications.
The decision of the Artist Resource Manager is final. If an applicant is not certified during this round, they can request feedback on how to improve their application and reapply in a future round.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria.
- Evidence of a recent body of work (last three years), demonstrated by an artist resume or CV that lists dates and locations of exhibitions, publications, performances, press, awards, artist residencies, jobs held in arts discipline field, and formal training if you have it.
- Documentation of artwork including image files, video clips, and writing samples.
- Recommendations and letters of support from peers and professionals in the arts.
When are applications accepted?
Applications for the Artist Certification are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applications are reviewed the last week of every month. If you submit your application by close of business on the last Tuesday of the month, your application will be reviewed that month.
When will I hear back about the status of my application?
You should expect to wait no more than 6 weeks to hear back.
What is Automatic Certification?
Automatic certification is granted to artists who have received any of the following awards in the last 3 years: the Massachusetts Cultural Council Artist Fellowship, The Boston Foundation Brother Thomas Fellowship, the Boston Cultural Council Artist Fellowship, or the City of Boston Emerging Artist Award.
To receive automatic certification, please fill out your name and contact information in the Artist Certification application and upload your fellowship letter in the Work Samples section.